Do you have what it takes to be a Windy City Roller?
Are you passionate about skating? Do you love the sport of derby? Want to participate in community service? Do you have a lot of free time?
Most of all, do you want to be part of an awesome, dedicated group of women in Chicago who want to take derby to the next level?
Here's who can try out. People who:
- are 21 and older
- are female
- have health insurance
- can pay for WFTDA insurance
Here's what you have to do:
- Email us at [email protected]. Let us know you're interested in trying out and we will add you to our recruitment message board: there you'll find all the information you'll need about upcoming tryouts and training opportunities.
- Get in shape. The more you skate, the better. Tryouts consist of a fitness test, skating ability test and an interview about your availability and skills.
- Watch roller derby. Learn about the sport, the rules, and the physical demands it might place on your body and mind.
- Talk to some derby girls. Ask questions. We can tell you what it really takes. Roller girls come from all walks of life, with varying levels of experience on and off the track.
- You can get a good perspective of league life and actually see how we work by volunteering. If you are interested, please send us your information at [email protected].
If you make it, you can expect...
- to pay monthly dues
- to attend at least 2-3 practices per week
- to pay for upkeep of equipment (skates, pads, helmet, uniforms, bandaids, etc)
- to be placed on a team after a grace period
- to get lots of bumps and bruises
- to have a ton of fun and be around wonderful, supportive, and hard core athletes